What’s that? You don’t know what that means? Well, let me tell you a little story.
One day when Kana was in high school, she returned home to a lawn full of pink plastic flamingos. This amount of flamboyance was way out of her mother’s decorating range, at least without having any seasonal touches such as bunny ears or Santa hats (see here…no really, click it), so WHERE THE FLOCK did these birds come from?
She found the explanatory note pinned to her front door, beginning with a statement of the obvious: “You’ve been Flamingoed!” It was a creative fund-raiser for a local church; the note gave the number her family could call to have the flamingos removed–OR, for a donation, THEY could select the flamingos’ next port-of-call. The flamingos magically migrated every few days to a new yard in town, providing good humor in asking people for money. In fact, those outrageous birds created a fun sense of community, as all of those “in the know” got a giggle with each relocation. It didn’t matter to which church the flock actually belonged, as they landed in the yards of Catholic, Protestant, and Jewish families before they retired, presumably to warmer climates than her northern Idaho hometown.
This online Flamingo isn’t about money or donations, but rather about the sense of community that the blogging world creates. Like myself, Kana started her blog expecting to have three readers: husband, Mom and Dad. Instead, we’ve all been blessed with a new “family” online and spend WAY more time reading other people’s blogs than writing on our own. As Kana said, “There’s a fantastic store of humor, wisdom, and insight out there, on whatever topic I’m in the mood to browse!”
So for those of you have made blogging so much more enjoyable by participating along with me and adding meaning by sharing your own thoughts on my usually trivial posts, I’d like to say YOU’VE BEEN FLAMINGOED!
- Billie Jo sharing her stories with My Life with the W-X BOY-Z
- Danielle embarking on a new type of marathon From 5K to Marathon
- Elle trying to come, see and conquer the world at Veni Vidi Vici
- everything Heather does is beautiful at Multiply Delicious
- Hilary’s day-to-day Love, Marriage & All Things Republican?
- Jeremy doing much more than running at B.D.J. Runs
- Laura inspiring me to try to be as good of a mom and crafter someday at TLEB in Texas
- Laura, even though you are no longer Oregon Bound please keep blogging
- Megan, newly planted at My Southern Garden
- Steven on his journey of Hundred Goals
Please take this Flamingo and pass it along. Feel free to tell the story, stick this flamingo on your blog, or do something else with Flamingoey Fun to celebrate my THANKS to you for being part of my blogging community.